About The Chronicle

Our Mission

The Chronicle was started in the fall of 2015 after the closure and reopening of Sweet Briar College in the spring of that year. It was felt that our community needed some news source for all of the changes our college is currently undergoing. The purpose of the Chronicle is to be a reliable source of information about Sweet Briar College in an easily accessible format, which is written by and for members of the community. This newspaper aims to acknowledge the history of the college, discuss the how the college is moving forward, and support the community itself.

Our Inheritance

The Chronicle is a new club and newspaper sprouting out of the seeds of Sweet Briar’s current situation, however it is not the first. The Sweet Briar Voice was active from 1929 to 2012 and is held very dear to many people’s hearts. As the new paper for SBC we acknowledge the legacy and standards upheld by The Voice and will do our best to honor them. In addition, we have the published editions of The Voice and hope to occasionally showcase them as a celebration of Sweet Briar’s accomplishments.

7 Comments

1. I’m an alumna – class of 2001. Could you please add me to your mailing list? I think this news source is great!

• Thank you, that really means a lot! As of right now The Chronicle has no mailing list, however my staff is in the process of discussing just that. However, someone is currently building a facebook page, where new articles will be mentioned. Either way we will do our best to keep everyone up to date.

2. Congratulations on your first edition and thank you for resurrecting this very significant piece of Sweet Briar’s history! Look forward to seeing/reading your next edition! Holla Holla to the entire staff!!

3. Congratulations! So excited to read news about my beloved Sweet Briar College written by the students. I friend posted the link on Facebook or I would not have seen it. I too would love to be added to your mailing list once you develop one. I am all for anything that improves positive communication within the Sweet Briar community. Thank you for seeking to inform.

• Quite honestly, we hadn’t thought that far ahead. We want this paper to be for all members of the Sweet Briar community so maybe one day. But for right now our main goal is to create a stable sustainable student newspaper.

4. For Ms. Gagne, the decision is harder. She still loves Sweet Briar, but she is wary of the uncertainty hanging over the news of its reopening.